To RAID or not to RAID?
A few weeks ago I was assisting a project manager with a troubled project. We reviewed the documentation from the beginning, starting with the usual suspects: project design, work plans, schedule just to mention a few. They all seemed fairly straightforward and understandable. Once we got to the status reporting though, confusion started. This project’s status reports were spreadsheets about 10 pages long. Every week the team was only able to discuss only about 3 pages’ worth of information, and they were mostly risks. “Why is this so long, what’s in it?” I asked him. He answered that it was his RAID Log, which he used to run Status Meetings. He wanted to be certain not to miss anything, so he was careful to include every item related to the project and classify it as R (risk); A (action); I (issue) or D (dependency) in this giant spreadsheet. As the first section was ‘Risks’ they were certainly addressed. So, most of the discussion in his weekly status meetin...
Comments
Post a Comment